Monday 18 July 2011

Trails and Successes

This last Sunday was my first event, Edgerton Beach Day. It was a beautiful day, lovely weather and lots of sunshine. Unfortunately we did not have the turn out that I was hoping for. There was about 25 people who came out from Edgerton for the afternoon, mostly families, which was nice. We manage to get a few games going. we played garbage ball in the water, which was lots of fun. The kids also enjoyed throwing around a football, Frisbee and playing washers. Despite the small turnout I believe those who attended had fun.  However, many left before the bbq and we ended up have only 12 people stay to eat. This was more disappointing because it was a free bbq and I had bought enough food for 100 people. I know 100 might have been a little optimistic, but I was hoping with all the advertising that we'd have a good turn out.
Nevertheless, I believe this event to have been a success. It was a good time for those who attended and I believe if we were to do it again next summer we'd have a better turn out. Every time you plan an event there is risk that people wont come. This event has taught me a lot about what it takes to run a successful event. Yes, advertising is important, but in a small town I believe it is just as important for you yourself to get out and talk to people. I believe it is this one on one that will convince people to come and to bring their friends and this is definitely something I will take into account for my next event. 
It is hard to get a first time event off the ground in a small rural community. However, I take this as a challenge to work even harder to convince people to give first time events a chance. My next event will be the Amazing Race, so far I have had great community support and I hope that this support will continue on until the event.
Finally, a note to myself. Always check to see how many weddings and family reunions are going on before you plan an event for any particular weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment