Monday 11 July 2011

The Diversity of a Small Town

Another week has come and gone. I can't believe that I have been here for two months already. This last week was filled with long days in the cemetery, unmarked graves and planning community events. This may sound like an odd combination, but when you work in a small town you get yo enjoy a wide variety of tasks.
Last week the Village of Edgerton had a crew come out to map the oldest part of their cemetery.The goal in doing this was to find any unmarked graves, as well as, to see if we have any open space we didn't know about in the cemetery. My job in all this was to create a physical map of where these unmarked graves were. I received help from one of the villages summer maintenance workers, and we went to work photographing, measuring and recording unmarked graves. This was actually a very interesting job. I got to learn a lot about the history if Edgerton, and the people who lived here before us.
Last week, I also finalize my first summer event, Edgerton's Beach Day. This event is open to everyone in Edgerton, and will be centered around a relaxing afternoon at the beach. I am very excited for this event as it will be a great way to meet more Edgertonites and promote my future summer events.
Finally, I also spent time working on the First Responders Conference. I attended a  meeting about the logistics of the conference and how we are settings up discussions. I am really looking forward to this event, I believe it is very important for rural communities and that lots of important information will be transferred here. I encourage every small community to attend. Rural communities need to work together, and our voices are more likely to be heard when we banded together as a larger group. There needs to be support between rural communities, and this conference is one step for rural communities to work together to maintain the capacity that they already hold.

No comments:

Post a Comment