Friday 17 June 2011

Summer Take Off

I have had another good week in Edgerton. This week was a bit slower because both the CAO and Mayor have been out to different meetings, so I have had less to do. With that said I did achieve a milestone of sending 388 emails this week. Since the Rural Communities First Responders Conference has been changed, I was asked to email all (well not all but alot) of the fire chiefs and communities through Alberta to tell them of the change. This was a very time consuming task, but hopefully my email reminder will encourage more people to attend the conference at the end of summer. I also did alot of photocopying and phone calls this week, I sort of felt like a secretary.
Now for the exciting part of my week. Yesterday, I met with Brian a friend from Augustana who is working as a youth resiliency in this area. We discussed working together to put on some amazing youth event s in Edgerton this summer. After this meeting, we headed over to the school to discuss possible event ideas with the students. This meeting was a great way to get to know the students and also a great way to hear their voices. I was able to get tons of great ideas from the students and I look forward to doing as many as possible this summer.
After this meeting Brian and I discussed to major youth events we'd like to do. The first one is an art event that would combine the local artists with the youth artists. The rough idea for this event is to have a day were local artist can teach different painting, ect to the youth. Then at the end of the day we would have a community art show for the students as well as the local artists. I believe this will be a great way to bridge the generations as well as a great way to build community spirit.
The second idea we want to pursue is the Amazing Race! This is going to be a totally awesome event, that I believe the students are really pumped for. We are hoping to host this event at the beginning of August. This event will not only be lots of fun for the youth but it will also help to build community in Edgerton. We will take advantage of the local business and attractions and use these places as stops during the game. This will not only teach the youth about there community but it is also a great way for the community to meet the youth.
I believe these two events will be a great way to show the youth of Edgerton that their community cares about them. Besides these two major events, I am also hoping to put on a few more smaller events like village wide capture the flag, bigger or better, or drive in movie. These are just  a few idea, but my goal is to make this summer as awesome as possible for the youth of Edgerton. I am also still hoping to hold at least one event that is geared towards the seniors. However, I will keep you posted as these events unfold. But it looks as if my summer may have just taken off, I'm looking forward to the adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment