Monday 22 August 2011

Events, Events, Events

Last week was definitely my busiest week in Edgerton. Saturday was the Amazing Race, Monday was the Seniors BBQ, and Thursday was Edgerton's Kids day!
The Amazing Race was on Saturday August 13. Out of all the events I planned this summer, I was most excited for this one. I spend many hours promoting this event, and organizing locations and volunteers. I am very happy to say that the Edgerton community supported me in many ways with this event. Everything came together well and all of my locations had fantastic challenges. I used facebook as my primary way to stay in contact with the youth, and I had 14 youth register prior to the event and 13 maybe. After seeing these response I was very excited to see the turn out for the Amazing Race.However, to my shock only 3 youth actually come. This was very disheartening; however, we made the best of it and ran with it. One of the participants called her little brother and we ran the event with two teams. Despite the small turn out, this was still an amazing event. The challenges were very entertaining, and all the youth had a great time. Also, each participant went home with tons of awesome prizes! When I reflected on this event, I was initially was very sad because of the turn out, but then I thought of what the Mayor of Edgerton said. "It not about how many people come to the event, we do for one what we would do for 100, but what matters is that it impacts those who attend, and that they have a good time." Therefore, I can now proudly say that this event was a success, despite the small numbers, because the youth that attended did have a great time.
My next event was Monday August 15, a Seniors day. This event was designed to simply show the villages appreciation for our seniors. Originally we had planned to do lawn games and a BBQ. However, due to weather we were unable to play games, instead we enjoy a nice BBQ and visiting. 25 seniors attended this event, and overall I believe it was well received.
Finally, my last event was Edgerton Kids Day on August 18. This event was very well received by the community and families in the community. I had 20 kids registered and 19 attended. This event was designed to be an afternoon of games for kids ages 7 to 12. Overall, I would say this event was a success, all the kids seemed to really enjoy themselves. I believe the community of Edgerton benefited from these events, and I had lots of fun putting them.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops tried to share a link to the Amazing Race video. Go to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQsa4VEeJpY

    It was super fun! Watch the video!

    ReplyDelete